A PRIVATE INVITATION FOR Adventure Club MEMBERS
Embark on a Peruvian Amazon Voyage aboard the elegant Zafiro riverboat to discover Earth’s Greatest Wilderness. Delve deep into the pristine Pacaya-Samiria Reserve, a 5-million-acre labyrinth of flooded forests, lagoons and peaceful creeks. Travel upriver from the inland port of Iquitos aboard the Zafiro as you voyage into villages and tributaries for an authentic immersive experience filled with extraordinary wildlife, flora and fauna. Enjoy luxurious amenities, spa treatments, view wildlife on hikes, explore by small-boat excursions and kayaks along the Amazon and meet the welcoming locals of the riverside villages. Enjoy time spent onboard the Zafiro which blends stylish design and modern comforts. Classic touches include magnificent floor-to-ceiling windows in all categories, for those on the Upper Deck Suites, lounge on your own private balconies. A ship staff and crew of 23, including a cruise director and local naturalist guides, are joined by an International Expedition Leader to ensure an unprecedented level of service.
- Viewing extraordinary wildlife on hikes, excursion boat rides & kayaking in three different habitats
- Sampling local culture with cooking demonstrations, village & school visits, stops at riverside markets & Shaman blessing ceremony
- Learning more about the beautiful Amazonian ecosystem with guided tours, lectures & field interpretation by experienced native naturalists
- Dancing to traditional music during Happy Hour receptions onboard the Zafiro
ItineraryExpand AllCollapse All
Fly independently to Lima, Peru, the nation’s capital and largest city, and transfer to the Swissôtel for the night.
EMBARK ON VOYAGE
Fly over the Andes to Iquitos. Visit the Manatee Rescue Center, where biologists and volunteers care for endangered Amazon manatees that conservation authorities have rescued. Learn about efforts to help these endearing mammals. See how the manatees are cared for and prepared for reintroduction into their natural habitat. Prior to boarding the elegant riverboat, Zafiro, survey the history of local tribes at a small museum. Enjoy stargazing and storytelling with our local guides while cruising slowly on the Amazon River toward the confluence of the Marañón and Ucayali Rivers. (B,L,D)
THE AMAZON RIVER & RIO UCAYALI
We awake this morning on the Amazon River, seeing some of the ever-changing panorama of jungle life as the Amazon River cruise ship continues upriver. Small villages dot the shoreline, and channels weaving through island mazes provide close-up views of a variety of birds. The confluence of the Ucayali and Marañón Rivers is famous as the beginning of the Amazon River in Peru. Amazingly, we are about 2,400 miles from where the river flows into the Atlantic. The river drops only about 350 feet the entire way! On our Amazon Voyage adventure, travel waterways aboard sturdy excursion boats to areas where we may find marsh birds such as oriole blackbirds, green ibis, yellow-headed caracaras, black-capped donacobis and white-headed marsh-tyrant. We turn into the Río Ucayali, where we’re apt to find gray river dolphins and Amazon pink dolphins cavorting near the boat and along the shoreline. Later we take an excursion into the surrounding rainforest in search of giant water lilies and elusive wildlife such as monkeys and sloths. As dusk approaches, fishing bats begin their night’s foraging. (B,L,D)
RIO UCAYALI & PACAYA-SAMIRIA RESERvE
After a peaceful breakfast along the black-water Sapote Creek, we explore a small tributary of the Ucayali aboard excursion boats. Look for animals including primates, sloths and an enormous variety of birds. Our Amazon Voyage adventure continues upriver to the Pacaya-Samiria Reserve. Although scientific studies are far from exhausted, the Pacaya-Samiria is the known home to 450 bird species, 102 species of mammals, over 130 species of reptiles and amphibians, and countless plants. This afternoon, an excursion into this largest wetland reserve in the world provides the opportunity to see 13 species of primates, including monk sakis, red howler, saddle-backed tamarin and squirrel monkeys. Explore Caro Lake, connected to the river by way of a very small stream, where we may find flocks of greater ani, often seen following monkeys in search of insects disturbed by the monkeys’ foraging. We enjoy a nighttime boat excursion for a chance to find caimans, capybaras, common potoos, frogs and other nocturnal wildlife. (B,L,D)
RIO UCAYALI & PACAYA-SAMIRIA RESERVE
Spend the day exploring this flooded realm, seeing wading birds such as herons, wattled jacanas and horned screamers. Venturing deep into the rainforest, tour an igapo (seasonally flooded forest), where plant life is very different from what we see along the main course of our Amazon cruise, and walk through the forest. Lucky guests may release turtle hatchlings. A delicious lunch energizes us for afternoon excursions with our expert naturalists, where we may find scarlet macaws, hoatzins, black-collared hawks and red howler monkeys. (B,L,D)
After an early breakfast, we board excursion boats for access even further into the heart of these vast wetlands. As our Amazon Voyage adventure cruises the narrow waterways, we’ll find birds such as canary-winged parakeets and spectacular blue-and-gold and scarlet macaws. Primates also are fairly common, including noisy squirrel monkeys. Once we arrive at a remote ranger station, enjoy a refreshing swim. Gradually make our way back to the riverboat through the maze of waterways. Enjoy an al fresco lunch and time to relax before our afternoon excursion. (B,L,D)
Head back downriver, with a morning wildlife or other activity. Visit a village along the river, with the chance to learn about the lives of the “Ribereño” people who live there. Accompanied by guides who grew up along the river, this is a fantastic opportunity to stroll through gardens learning about medicinal plants and folklore, visit a school, or join in a game of soccer. The children are especially excited to see their faces on digital cameras and to show off their school and sing Peruvian songs. Depending on the villages visited during your Amazon River tour, you may also have the opportunity to see an IE-funded water treatment plant. The clean drinking water provided by these plants is having an enormous positive health impact in remote river villages. Learn about medicinal plants and enjoy a blessing ceremony by a respected village shaman. Aboard the ship, learn to make traditional Peruvian dishes or enjoying an enriching lecture. After dark, go out in excursion boats to listen to the sounds of the rainforest and look for nocturnal wildlife. (B,L,D)
THE AMAZON RIVER
Wake up early for a morning birdwatching excursion along the Yarapa River. After breakfast, try your hand at piranha fishing in Ubos Lake. Piranha are very common in the slower-moving water. With luck, we may catch red-breasted, white or black piranha, and feast on our catch this evening at dinner. Once back aboard your luxury Amazon River cruise ship, we enjoy a farewell dinner. (B,L,D)
Iquitos & LIMA DEPARTURE
On an early morning excursion to Pilpintuwasi Rescue Center, see two- and three-toed sloth, red uakari and even a jaguar which have been rescued. Upon arrival back in Lima late this afternoon, dayroom at the Lima Airport are provided until time to connect with independent overnight flights home. (B,L)
Please inquire for pricing if you wish to extend your Cruise Voyage: 3-Day Colonial Lima Pre-Cruise Package; 4-Day Rainforest Canopy & Lodge Pre-Cruise Package; 3-Day Nazca Lines Pre-Cruise Package; 6-Day Machu Picchu & Cusco Post-Cruise Package
Travel aboard the Zafiro, a luxurious vessel we have chartered for your adventure, which blends stylish design and modern comforts. Classic touches include magnificent floor-to-ceiling windows and — for those on the Upper Deck — private balconies. All 19 spacious suites are air-conditioned and feature en-suite bathrooms, a desk and ample closet space.
ADVENTURE CLUB MEMBERS RECEIVE 50% OFF
All prices reflect the 50% savings based on Double Occupancy; please inquire for Single Rates
- Lower Deck Cabins – $2849 per person cruise fare
- Upper Deck Cabins – $3049 per person cruise fare
- Lower Deck Mini Suites (Cabins #9 & #10) – $3249 per person cruise fare
- Upper Deck Zafiro Suite (Cabin #19) – $3499 per person cruise fare
REQUIRED EXTRA COSTS FOR VOYAGE
- International airfares to/from Lima, Peru
- Internal Flights from Lima to Iquitos roundtrip $450 per person
- Onboard Gratuities (approx $350 per person)
- OPTIONAL Pre & Post Cruise Extensions
- OPTIONAL Single Supplement (for 1 person in cabin)
- Travel Insurance
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Due to the boutique size of this ship, FULL PAYMENT REQUIRED TO BOOK & CONFIRM your cabin choice. Voyage is non-refundable after final payment.
- THIRDHOME strongly recommends that all travelers purchase travel insurance prior to participating in a THIRDHOME Adventure and that all such insurance be purchased when a tour deposit is made. THIRDHOME travelers can purchase travel insurance through (1) the THIRDHOME preferred provider Allianz Travel or (2) the traveler’s insurance provider of choice. THIRDHOME will require proof of such travel insurance protection when a tour deposit is made. NOTICE: Due to its affiliation with Allianz travel, THIRDHOME selects only those suppliers listed on the Allianz Global Assistance as a covered supplier. Travelers purchasing travel insurance from providers other than Allianz Travel may not be protected in the event of a loss. Before making any travel insurance purchase, please confirm with a travel insurance provider that the travel supplier is an Allianz covered supplier. Any traveler that elects not to purchase travel insurance, by either of the above means, agrees to release THIRDHOME from liability for any loss of funds incurred due to the cancellation of a specific THIRDHOME Adventure as a result of, but not limited to, an act of God, a failure to purchase travel insurance, the cessation of business with respect to a tour operator/ground operator, the failure of a tour operator/ground operator to refund consumer deposits or payments within 120 days following the cancellation of a THIRDHOME Adventure or a material failure to complete performance of a THIRDHOME Adventure.
To obtain a personalized travel insurance quote with ALLIANZ click here or provide link below:
- Transfers to/from Lima Airport upon arrival and departure
- 1 Pre Night at the Swissotel Lima (Day 1/Friday)
- 1 Post Night Day Room at Lima Airport Hotel
- Iquitos City Tour (time permitting) before 5PM Embarkation
- 7 Nights onboard the ZAFIRO River Yacht
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks, juices and bottled waters on voyage
- Select alcoholic beverages – Peruvian cocktails, beer and house wines
- Transfers to/from yacht within the Amazon
- Expedition Leader & 2 Naturalist Guides onboard
- Use of ZAFIRO skiffs for guided outings
- Educational program including lectures on ecology, history and marine life onboard
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Bring a valid passport. We recommend that your passport remain valid for at least six months after your departure date. Visas are not required for US or Canadian citizens.
- TRAVEL INSURANCE IS REQUIRED to participate in a TH Adventure and must be purchased at the time of making the tour deposit. Please refer to the ADVENTURE PRICING section for more details.
PRE-CRUISE RAINFOREST CANOPY & LODGE EXTENSION
From first light until after dark, immerse yourself in the sensations of our Amazon rainforest tour while enjoying our comfortable, air-conditioned lodge artfully constructed to exist in harmony with the surrounding environment. Explore a different side of Amazon rainforest travel as you head high into the canopy at day break, encountering birds and other wildlife in the treetops.
COST: $1148 per person (based on Double Occupancy; please inquire for Single pricing)
POST-CRUISE EXTENSION – MACHU PICCHU & CUSCO
A visit to Machu Picchu, the grandest of all the Inca sites, must stand out as a highlight of anyone’s travels. It has the most dramatic of settings, atop an Andean mountain surrounded by other peaks. For all its extent — Machu Picchu has some 200 structures, along with brilliant stone masonry — it was almost forgotten until its rediscovery in 1911 by Hiram Bingham. But there is a great deal more to see, and this Machu Picchu tour includes a variety of experiences in the great city of Cusco and in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
COST: $3999 per person (based on Double Occupancy; please inquire for Single pricing)
Once we were on-board the ship the attentive guest services exceeded our expectations. We loved learning about each staff members’ personal story, each serving as its own testimonial for the great pride they all share for their country and its culture. One of the main highlights of the voyage was the extraordinary Peruvian musical and dance performances by the staff each night. The ship itself was beautifully decorated and completely renovated. We also decided to add on a trip extension to Machu Picchu, which I highly recommend. It was a completely different experience that complimented the Amazon voyage perfectly, almost like visiting two completely different countries. From the beginning to the end of the journey, especially the extraordinary Vistadome Train ride to the peak of Machu Picchu, we were truly unprepared for the rugged beauty of the valley and the awe-inspiring experiences we encountered.Charles Stoopack
The Zafiro exceeded my expectations, as did the experience of being on the Amazon River. All the sights, the birds, the animals were thrilling. I had no idea what to expect. In addition, the other guests on board were all interesting, well-traveled, and fun to share such a unique experience with. I had such a fantastic time and am looking forward to trip with THIRDHOME!Ronne Fisher
Explore the video testimonial and member experiences from our 2017 Inner Circle Voyage.