Experience a safari like no other and view extensive wildlife from unique vantage points in phenomenal regions of Africa. Explore the area surrounding Victoria Falls, an iconic and dramatic piece of nature. After, safari along the Chobe River onboard the luxury Zambezi Queen, a floating 5-star hotel. During your days onboard, you will have the opportunity to experience water-based safari excursions on a tender boat where you can get up close to an array of wildlife, including elephants. Plus, book the exclusive pre-trip extension and encounter silverback gorillas in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park on treks with Craig Sholley, renowned conservationist and Senior Vice President of the African Wildlife Foundation.
About Craig Sholley:
Craig Sholley’s experiences with wildlife and conservation began in 1973 as a Peace Corps volunteer in Zaire, Africa. He has worked and traveled extensively since that time providing conservation expertise in a variety of world arenas. As an L.S.B. Leakey grant researcher in the late 1970’s, Craig studied mountain gorillas at Rwanda’s celebrated Karisoke Research Centre with Dian Fossey. Returning to the US, he redirected his interests designing natural history educational programs and wildlife tours for the Baltimore Zoological Society. Concurrently, Craig Sholley led nature expeditions and photographed wildlife throughout Africa, South America, and Asia.
In late 1987, Craig Sholley returned to Africa full time to direct Rwanda’s internationally-known Mountain Gorilla Project. Turning the project over to the Rwandan government in early 1990, Craig continued in Rwanda acting as Scientific Advisor for the award winning IMAX film, Mountain Gorilla. Craig has served as a Senior Associate of the African Wildlife Foundation and on AWF’s Board of Trustees. He has also served on the Board of the Ecotourism Society. Throughout much of the 90’s, Craig Sholley was Director of Conservation and Education for International Expeditions, an organization widely recognized for its ecotourism initiatives.
Craig Sholley returned to Rwanda in 1995 on assignment with the National Geographic Society surveying the conservation status of mountain gorillas in Rwanda, DR Congo, and Uganda in the aftermath of Rwanda’s civil war. The findings of that trip are the basis of a 1995 article in National Geographic Magazine on mountain gorilla conservation. Craig Sholley has worked full time with the African Wildlife Foundation for the last 16 years and presently serves as Senior Vice President.
Craig Sholley has led countless safaris to natural destinations throughout the world. His favorite continental travel destination remains Africa and he has a strong positive bias for Uganda and Rwanda.
THE ULTIMATE SAFARI PRICING & DETAILS
Adventure Pre-Trip Extension: Rwanda Gorilla Trekking with Craig Sholley
Dates: June 18-22, 2020
Trip Cost: $7670* per person (based on required double occupancy)
*Included in the above amount is a $1000 voluntary tax-deductible contribution to the African Wildlife Foundation International Gorilla Conservation Program focused on the conservation of the species.
Deposit Amount: $3835 per person
Deposit Due Date: December 10, 2018
Limited availability for only 14 people.
INCLUSIONS of GORILLA TREK – SABYINYO LODGE:
- 1 Night Accommodations in Kigali at The Kigali Serena Hotel with dinner
- 3 Nights Accommodations at the Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner during stay at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
- Laundry Services, Room Service, Wines, Beers & Sodas
- Premium Permit for 1 Exclusive Hike to encounter with the Silverback Gorillas
- Ultimate Rwanda Safari Leader & SVP of AWF, Craig Sholley
- All Ground Transportation & Naturalist Guide Services
- OPTIONAL Premium Experiences: Additional Gorilla Trek Day with Exclusive Access (OR) Encounter with Golden Monkeys Tour
- Premium Drinks (champagnes, liqueurs and spirits)
Adventure: Johannesburg & Victoria Falls Exploration (Dates: June 22-25, 2020) and The Zambezi Queen Floating Safari (June 26-28, 2020)
Deposit Amount: $3,575 per person
Deposit Due Date: December 10, 2018
Limited availability for only 28 people.
INCLUSIONS FOR JOHANNESBURG & VICTORIA FALLS:
- 1 Night Accommodations in Johannesburg at the O.R. Tambo Intercontinental Airport Hotel
- 3 Nights Accommodations in Victoria Falls – choice of Sussi & Chuma (OR) Tongabezi Lodge
- Airport Assistance & Private Transfers as noted per itinerary
- All Meals & Local Beverages except premium import brands while at Victoria Falls Lodges
- Daily Lodge Activities during your stay at Victoria Falls – Walking tours & safaris, game drives, sundowners, local school & village tours, fishing, canoeing
- All taxes – except park fees (see Not Included)
NOT INCLUDED FOR JOHANNESBURG & VICTORIA FALLS:
- International Flights
- Domestic Internal Flights- a per person cost will be quoted by THIRDHOME TRAVEL
- Visa Fees
- Premium Imported Beverages
- Laundry services & other items of personal nature
- Park Fees into Victoria Falls – approximately $10 USD per person per visit & Falls Entrance Fees are approximately $20 USD per person per visit (subject to change)
INCLUSIONS FOR ZAMBEZI QUEEN FLOATING SAFARI:
- 3-nights accommodations onboard the Zambezi Queen Floating Yacht
- All meals while onboard
- All soft-drinks, mineral water, coffee & tea, beer and wine throughout voyage onboard
- Water-based game viewing and bird watching on tender boats
- A land-based cultural tour of a local village
- Tiger & Bream fishing when in season
- Ground Transportation as noted per itinerary
- ZQ Dedicated Professional Guides
- ZQ Staff to assist with Immigration Clearing & Luggage Handling
- OPTIONAL Premium Experience: 4×4 Game Safari Drive into Botswana’s Chobe National Park
NOT INCLUDED FOR ZAMBEZI QUEEN FLOATING SAFARI:
- International flights
- Domestic Internal Flights – a per person cost will be quoted by THIRDHOME TRAVEL
- Gratuities for voyage – is at Member Discretion (guideline is $10 per person per day)
- Visa Fees
Passport & Visa Requirements:
Passports must be valid for 6 months (or more) beyond the scheduled return date.
Click here for information about visas and additional entry requirements for US Citizens.
Click here for inoculations information.